Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Work, Life, Movement

I've said this before -- many times before -- I like my gig. I like the people I work with. I like what I do. I like that people trust that I know what I am doing, but don't just blindly agree/listen to what I have to say. One thing I don't like about my job -- I don't have many people I would call friends there. I know it's just a job, but I'm use to working at places (CAF, NNIB, MF) where I had quite a few friend -- and always a lunch companion. At SPC, a lot of people bring their lunch -- which is something that I really find revolting. When I worked at CAF and made absolutely no money, I still managed to take time and find the money to go out to lunch. It might have been half a subway sandwich ($1.99 at the time), but my lunch ritual is not something that I want to give up.

A girl I work with -- actually she's my cube neighbor, she was actually my FIRST cube neighbor, decided to leave the company and go back to school. She resigned today -- well I think she resigned today. I left before she told her boss, but her plan was to resign today. Anyway, she is going to Med School. How crazy is that!?

Sometimes, nay, most times, I feel like I am just standing still. Everyone is moving on with their lives and careers and I'm stuck in neutral. I don't know what to do -- maybe I should just stay in neutral for a while and see what happens.

Going to dinner with JM on Friday night -- that's always fun -- although it usually ends up being a long late night and me in a $40 cab ride home from the bad part of town. Saturday, she and I are going on a CAF tour -- I think it is an old mine being turned into a park. They say you should bring shoes that can get muddy. Yeah, I'm not doing that. I think I'll bring a cell phone and a cab number programmed in to help me escape. I moved to the city so I wouldn't have to walk through the mud. Silly people.

1 comment:

David said...

I like having friends at work as well. It was one of thebig reasons we moved back to anchorage actually.

Lunches could be much better. We get 30 minutes so even the cafeteria lines eat up to much time. ( I eat pretty slowly) and even then it my 30 minutes may not line up with those I'd like it to most.

I'm with you about feeling luke you're standing still. Med school could be one option... Expensive and a long road. But I thin travel and enjoying things is okay too.