Thursday, October 30, 2008

Things I Dig (pt. 2)

It has been quite a while since I've done a version of "Things I Dig". Since it is fall and a crispness is in the air, I figured I'd talk about smells. Fall is full of great smells, don't you think?

In no particular order:
1) Ham and Cheese Paninis on the grill
2) Pineapple Cilantro Candles from Tommy Bahama. These make me so relaxed, I have to thank JFB for introducing these to me
3) Bi, by Dolce and Gabanna. Unfortunately, I cannot find this cologne anywhere. PLEASE, if you find it, buy me the biggest container you can find and I will pay you 2X. It comes in a zebra striped box.
4) Tomatoes simmering on the stove (with basil and garlic). A great winter scent.
5) Sushi restaurants. You know that super fresh smell of fish; partnered with the smell of fine leather upholstery.
6) The O'Hare CTA Station. This urban smell is part electric motors, poor air circulation and many people. It sounds really gross, but this smell reminds me of travel (both coming and going). I love to travel, so when I hit the CTA station this smell consumes me, I get so excited. The idea of future travel hits me -- the thought of being thousands of miles away in just a couple hours is so exhilarating.
7) Tanning beds. I don't know if it is the smell of hot plastic, or burning flesh, but tanning is so relaxing for me. I don't do it anymore though -- cancer runs in my family and we don't live that long anyway...why take a few years off my limited time anyway.
8) Lilly. It's an odd mix of bad cat food, arm & hammer litter and something I can't put my finger on...it's a distinct smell that really reminds me of home.

And of course, the inverse. Smells, I totally don't dig, in no particular order:
1) Vanilla Fields perfume -- Wal-Mart trash, worn by fat trashy broads
2) Cigarettes (all tobacco actually)
3) Fresh ground coffee -- I hate coffee so much.
4) Bad breath. Duh, I know, but some folks I deal with daily have some of the most horrific breath around
5) That smell people have on the bus after they've been out drinking and smoking the night before. Fridays on the bus can be quite revolting. A former co-worker use to wreak like this about 4-5 days a week. She was a vile train wreck of a girl.
6) Copious amounts of second hand pot smoke. A few of my neighbors smoke like chimneys and stink up the hallways.

Thoughts? Go ahead and make fun of my choices here, ok?

No comments: