Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pre Vacation

I am in a taxi to ORD right now. It is a beautiful late summer day, people are out running, waiting in line at Starbucks and schlepping to the trains. I am en route to Cancun for a long weekend with EAD and JFB. It feels like I haven't had a vacation in years.

I think the last vacation I went on was to Palm Spring for my birthday. I've taken time off since then but it has been mostly to go to Oregon to deal with the craziness that has been the past 2 years of my life.

Cancun is looking to be a very nice 4 day trip. We are staying at the Ritz Carlton Cancun until Sunday. We arrive around 1pm today. Tomorrow I set up a private tour of Chichen Itza that picks us up at the hotel at 745am. We have the car and the guide all day.

Saturday JFB set up a private class at the Culinary Center at 11am. After class I think we are going to the spa for a few hours of treatments. Not sure what our plans are for dinner any night, but I am sure the hotel will have some great options.
Sunday we leave around 1pm, back to the grind. I am already getting depressed thinking about it.

My next trip after this one is to Denver for a few days of work meetings then a weekend with the boys again. I feel better when I have trips in the hopper.

My taxi driver just asked me if I mind if he "takes liberties" with traffic patterns. Uh, what? Evidently that means he rides the shoulder in a residential street passes the expressway on ramp, makes an illegal U-turn cutting into traffic this getting on the feeder ramp from the opposite direction and cutting our wait time down dramatically. Yes, I am ok with that. We board in 55 minutes, so I have plenty of time, but I don't want to risk a delay. UAL only offers one flight a day to CUN, no way I will miss this one!

3.25 hour flight to CUN in an old Ted plane - as in a single cabin, or a No-Class plane. I managed to get an exit row aisle seat. So, it won't be all that bad, plus I think the plane is pretty empty in economy plus too.

Barring metal fatigue, pilot error or Bolivian hijackers, I will be pool side in about 8 hours (which sounds horribly long).

No comments: