Saturday, October 24, 2009

Catch Up

I have completed my last work trip of the year, which is both good and bad. I am happy that I won't have to go on a mileage run (or two) to Salt Lake this year, but its hard to think this year is almost over. From a mileage stand point I will have flown 54,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (a/k/a butt in seat miles) this year. 10 segments or 17,390 of those to/from Portland this year. Next year I will have a European trip under my belt, but it won't be enough to replace those miles.

Anyway, my mom is in W. Va for a month. My aunt, who traditionally I really liked, had both of her knees replaced. Her husband was fighting cancer for almost as long as my dad did. He was under the care of hospice. My mom went out to take care of my aunt, while she recovered from surgery. Since my aunts husband couldn't take care of himself, they moved him to a short term hospice clinic until someone could take care of him at home again. They moved him on Monday, her surgery was Tuesday, he died on Wednesday. Perfect.

My mom was pretty distraught. This guy was far from an admirable character. He was abusive, drunk and selfish. Not that I wished he was dead. My biggest frustration with him was that he was declared cancer free about a year ago, and instead of loving life he just drank excessively and popped pills. My dad didn't have the chance to "be cancer free". I know it doesn't really mean anything now, but it is pretty frustrating.

I must admit that I am totally enjoying my empty house. It is great to have the whole place all to myself. I must also admit, the house is a bit too big for just one person, but I still love it.

I have been pretty productive so far today too. I slept in until 9am, which is very late for me. I have several home owner projects ahead of me this weekend, nothing major, just simple seasonal stuff, like changing the air filters, removing and cleaning the screens, spraying for bugs, etc. It will take me a whopping 20 minutes probably, but still things I can check off my to do list.

I am still having problems with gnats and I can't figure out the issues. Its not a fruit fly issue, as they aren't swarming around anything but me. I thought it might be plant related, but I've sprayed the plants and while there are a lot of dead bugs I are no movement at all. I hope it was just because we have a warm house and had an ill fitting screen, and that's how they got in the house. We will know in a day or two, I suppose.

Am heading home now to install dimmer switches in the living/dining room... Here's hoping I don't electrocute myself. Do me a favor, if you don't hear from me, see an updated blog posting or facebook activity before 9pm tonight, call the police.

No comments: