Tuesday, November 01, 2011

US Airways Grand Slam Update - Miles Sweep 3

For several weeks nothing was happening in my US Airways account even though I've been playing the Grand Slam pretty consistently. When I last wrote I had completed 11 hits and earned 5,995 miles.  Since then I've continued to play and have done a few new things only to get miles.
  1. Dividend Mile Toolbar
  2. E-Rewards
  3. Dividend Mile Dining
  4. Buy Dividend Miles
  5. 1-800-Flowers
  6. Audience Rewards
  7. Miles for Magazines
  8. Track-It-Back 
  9. Dividend Miles Shopping Mall
  10. Super Shuttle
  11. MasterCard Purchase
  12. Officemax.com -- I followed the guidance that several other bloggers have suggested and purchased a cheap item on Officemax.com.  The cheapest thing I could find was a small pump container of anti-bacterial soap. The soap was $1.99 plus $6 in shipping. I gave the soap to my mom -- lovely gift, I know.  My miles to date now hit 6,000 total. Hit 12.
  13. E-Miles -- E-Miles is a website where you click links and read about partner offers. Each offer varies in value (I didn't buy anything).  Once you reach 500 points you can transfer those to the mileage program of your choice.  I transferred to US Airways for 500 miles -- bringing my total to 6,500 miles.  Hit 13.
  14. Skymall -- Like Officemax.com, I just bought the cheapest thing I could find -- a bad Halloween decoration for $2.97 plus shipping (about $9 total).  I haven't received the bad decoration yet, but I did get the points credited to my account already.  I earned 9 points here bringing me to 6,509 miles. Hit 14.
  15. Biscoff -- I had no idea what this was, but like Officemax and Skymall, I followed fellow bloggers guidance and bought Biscoff Spread (still not 100% sure what it is...other than a peanut butter alternative).  For $19 including shipping I received two (glass) jars of Biscoff spread, 19 miles (6,528 total miles) and my 15th Hit.
  16. Points.com -- This hit has been a total pain in the ass.  I didn't want to swap out hotel points or buy any overpriced points to transfer around so my only real option was to transfer 10 US Airway Miles to 4 Asia Miles -- then turn around and transfer 4 Asia Miles to 1 US Airways Mile. Yes, this means I'm losing 9 miles, but it gets me another hit.  The real issue here is that the miles were deducted from US Airways immediately, but wouldn't credit to Asia Miles. They just sat there, "pending" with no movement.  I ended up transferring another 10 miles just to see if it would clear quicker.  I emailed Points.com 3 times asking for guidance.  Nothing. I called and they manually processed the transfer.  Once my Asia Miles were posted, I immediately put in the request to transfer back to US Airways.  The transfer continued to "fail". I tried this 3 more times and nothing happened.  I emailed each time the transfer failed and was informed continually that they were looking into it. Right.  I called back and they suggested I swap my first and last name on my Asia Miles account -- how logical is that? I knew for a fact that this customer service person was just trying to get me off the phone. I tried it...and it worked. Who knew?  I gained 1 mile and lost 20. So far, I've got 6,509 miles and a total of 16 hits.  What a pain in the neck though.
  17. Sharebuilder --  I've had a Sharebuilder account for years.  I use Sharebuilder as my main independent investment vehicle.  I also use ING Direct as my main savings account.  I opted to open another Sharebuilder account.  I had to fund it and complete a trade -- which cost $9.95.  I bought some United Airlines stocks and hoped for the best. A new Sharebuilder account nets you 2,500 miles (flat amount not variable).  Hit 17.
While 17 hits have posted to my US Airways account, I've only gotten 10,000 bonus (Grand Slam) miles -- which is only for 8 hits.  I've got another 9 hits that have already posted.  Most of these additional hits have posted in the past 3 or 4 days. With 12 hits, I get an additional 5,000 miles and with hit 16 I get 10,000 more.  Once these miles hit, I should have about 32,000 miles.  My current goal is to hit at least 20 hits -- perhaps 24 depending on when some of these things hit.  If I reach 20 hits, I'll have earned a total of 35,000 bonus miles -- if I hit 24 I'll earn 45,000 bonus miles.

I'll keep you updated on how the points post.  If you are playing this game let me know how your points are posting -- or are not posting.  If you haven't started yet, you've got about 2 weeks get some bonus miles.  You can easily get 3,000 with out paying a dime and paying next to nothing for 10,000 bonus miles.

What are you planning on doing with your bonus miles?  How should I use mine?  What kind of crap have you purchased to hit these goals

No comments: