Wednesday, January 02, 2013

#SNAPChallenge Day 1

Today was the first day of my #SNAPChallenge. I did pretty well today.  For breakfast I had a toasted English muffin with peanut butter.  I could have technically had two today, since I have 12 muffins for 7 days - but I'll save the extra muffins for the days that I'm much hungrier later on in the challenge.  I ate four clementines as a snack throughout the day.

For lunch I had leftover Spanish style rice (my own recipe, below).  For dinner I had steamed broccoli and carrots as well as some left over Spanish style rice and one and a half blackened chicken thighs.  I prepared the chicken thighs in a cast iron pan (no need for oil and the pan adds some great flavor).


The Spanish rice really isn't Spanish rice, but just a rice with some added kick. Here is my recipe:

Tim's Spanish Style Rice
Cook one cup of rice in two cups of boiling water until tender (check the rice package). Then add:

  • Half a can of drained diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
This rice dish is easy and has nice flavor.  I also kicked it up a bit by adding a splash of sriracha.  This was a nice staple for lunch and dinner.  I am not tired of this yet.  Tomorrow I think I will change it up and use rice noodles in lieu of rice proper.

How do I feel after today?  I am happy I didn't fail today.  I am not full but not quite hungry.  I think coming off the gluttony of Holiday Food and Office Snacks may make this process a bit more difficult.  I do have a pretty bad craving for some chocolate right now.  I immediately brushed my teeth after dinner so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat.  Just so you all know, I weighed 181 pounds this morning. Let's see how much I weigh at the end of the challenge.

Tomorrow is another day.

Be the first to know when a new post is published: sign up to receive them via email or directly in your RSS Reader. Follow me on Twitter or Google Plus too!

No comments: