Friday, January 04, 2013

#SNAPChallenge Recipe - Chicken Chili

For my #SNAPChallenge dinner tonight I decided to create a new chili recipe.  I started off my using the left over diced tomatoes from my Spanish-Style-Rice recipe to make a tomato soup, but as the tomatoes started to cook down, the idea of a thick chili started to take hold.  Here are the ingredients I used:
  • Half 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • A pinch (yes, I know this isn't a real measurement--maybe 1/8 teaspoon) of red pepper flake
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients into a saucepan and cook on medium heat until the tomatoes break down and most of the liquid has evaporated. This took me about 20-30 minutes. Be careful not to salt too early in this process, as the liquid evaporates the salt will really concentrate in the chili.

I shredded a chicken thigh to put it on top of the chili.  I topped the whole thing with a couple twists of fresh ground pepper.  I wish I could have had a bit of cheese on top, but that wasn't part of my SNAP Challenge shopping list.


The chili was really tasty and I would definitely consider making it again.

Be the first to know when a new post is published: sign up to receive them via email or directly in your RSS Reader. Follow me on Twitter or Google Plus too!

No comments: