Tuesday, January 01, 2013

#SNAPChallenge Shopping List

Today I did the grocery shopping for my #SNAPChallenge. I visited two stores - and as you may have read earlier, I planned on stretching my dollar by visiting the local Vietnamese market.  Unfortunately my plans weren't as successful as I had hoped.  The rice wasn't as reasonably priced in small quantities -- granted, if I wanted to buy a 50 pound bag, the cost was excellent.  The meat and seafood did not smell all that fresh - coupling that smell with a mild NYE hang over, I couldn't pull the trigger. The vegetables were not the great either, so I had to skip this and head on over to the traditional grocery store.

Here is what I managed to pick up and the price:

Hoa Nam Market
Two 14 ounce bags of rice noodles: $2.58
Sales Tax: $0.06
Total: $2.64

Jewel-Osco
Two 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes: $3.44
Two 16 ounce cans of chick peas: $2.00
Two 16 ounce bags of brown rice: $1.58
Twelve English muffins (two packages): $5.00
4.81 pounds of chicken thighs (not boneless/skinless): $8.13
Two pounds of carrots: $0.79
Two broccoli crowns: $1.16
Skippy Peanut Butter 16.3 ounces: $3.38
Five pound bag of clementines: $2.99
Sales Tax: $0.64
Total: $29.11

Grand Total: $31.75.  I have $3.25 left if I need to supplement what I have already purchased.

My food for the week!
I will start by fixing a bit of rice and veggies for lunch tomorrow, then tomorrow I will cook some chicken thighs and make a bit of a stir fry.  I'm not 100% sure how far this food will last but I will do everything I can to meet my goals.

Be the first to know when a new post is published: sign up to receive them via email or directly in your RSS Reader. Follow me on Twitter or Google Plus too!

No comments: